BIM-EDIT Source Program Editor
BIM-EDIT provides an easy-to-use editor, tight source control, a flexible and straightforward security system, flexible operations, and a powerful, yet simple‑to‑use procedure processor.
- Straightforward security system, offering six access levels and any number of user/library security relationships.
- Efficient CPU use with a low virtual storage requirement.
- Allows any number of libraries to be defined and any number of members in a library, without loss of efficiency.
- Allows you to START, XCTL, or LINK to other CICS programs (when you are logged on through CICS), and you can log off anytime, even when you're editing a member.
- Supports 3270 CRT models two, three, four, and five, and permits lines up to 253 characters long.
- Offers a full-function internal mail system, allowing either full documents or single-line messages to be sent from one user to another.
- Provides source control with multiple facilities, including
- Check-in/check-out control
- Member auditing
- Member stamping
- Purge control
- Edits a work copy of a member, never the permanent copy. The work copy becomes a permanent copy only when the SAVE command is issued. If an inadvertent error is made, the command END NOSAVE ends the edit session without affecting the permanent copy.
- Provides a useful function list feature and easy-to-use LP sessions while maintaining all groups and sessions on a circular chain.
- Features a split-screen facility so that two different session types can be displayed on the screen.
- Always stores text in a compressed format, and always compresses outbound screen data to the maximum possible extent.
- Can be accessed through
- One or multiple CICSs
- VTAM directly
- A batch utility job stream
- The system console
- A TCP/IP FTP interface
- A user-written program calling BIM-EDIT interface routines
- Provides fast, automatic recovery after computer or other failure, and allows round-the-clock update access to its library, even while it is being backed up.